Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community

A North Central Florida Online Community for Diesels, 4x4's, off-roading, hauling, racing, and related events around North Central Florida

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» for guest
Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:58 pm by bluedieselram

» cat removal
Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:54 pm by bluedieselram

» lift kit
Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:16 pm by bluedieselram

» Diesel Drags Gainsville March 24, 2012
Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:08 pm by BlueLightning7.3

» Engine Fan
Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:44 pm by thatboys3500

September 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Site Sponsors
Sponsorship Info - Click Here!

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  

Bookmark and share the address of Suwannee Valley Diesels and 4x4 Online Community on your social bookmarking website

Share | 

Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:14 pm

My auto tensioner on the truck has been broke for a few months now and i've been lazy, but finally got around to fixing it... Realizing also that my serpentine belt looked horrible and the part i ordered was wrong i ended up changing the auto tensioner, tensioner pully, and serp belt... It was easy!!!

Below are some pics to help describe the ordeal...

Tools:
- 14MM socket on rachet
- 3/8 rachet (seperate from the 14MM one)
- 14MM wrench
- Pry bar

First take a minute to understand what is going on with the serp. belt... Once you have an idea of the process, use your 14MM socket/rachet to pull the mounting bolt on the auto tensioner...

Once you get that bolt out, the auto belt tensioner should come on off the block and your belt should be loose... Leave the belt on the pullys to keep the path...

Next using the 14MM socket/rachet pull the tensioner bolt...

Replace the tensioner to the block in reverse of pulling it...

Now you are ready to put the new serp. belt on... Take a moment to follow the path that the belt takes around all pulleys... Pull the old belt and replace with the new belt... The new belt will be a little more stiff and harder to fit around pulleys.. be sure that the belt fits completely into all the grooves on the pulleys...

Once the new belt is pulled in the general path, you are ready to install the new automatic belt tensioner... Loosely install the new auto belt tensioner... once the bolt threads are pretty well started into the block, pull the smooth side of the automatic tensioner up to allow the belt to fit... Using the 3/8" rachet inserted into the 3/8" square hole on the auto tensioner, pull the tensioner downward tightening the belt...

There is a nipple looking bump on the back side of the auto tensioner and a opposing shaped hole on the block... The nipple looking thing needs to fit into the hole on the block... This is done by pulling the auto tensioner down with the rachet...

This picture is of the piece flipped, but shows the nipple thing...

Tighten everything down to spec and visually inspect everything... the belt should be on all grooved pulleys evenly and mostly on all smooth wheels...

Turn engine over - do not start up... Visually look and check everything for belt alignment and tension...

If all is ok and looks normal, start engine and watch for vibration or loose belts or pulleys not working correctly... Belt should be very tight with minimal vibration and should stay centered on all parts it touches... The automatic tensioner should be the only thing vibrating which is normal... Mine vibrates about an 1/8th of an inch back and forth...

I probably left out a few things, but PM me and i can walk you through it or even take more pics...

Here are some misc pictures for refrences...

Back to top Go down
http://www.svd4x4.com
dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:01 am

Maybe this will help explain some details...
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:12 am

Back to top Go down
Kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 pm

Just a "heads up" on the new Dayco serp belts. They will NOT show cracking as a sign for a belt being bad. They are now made of a new material that should last longer than the OEM belts but, they will need to be checked for wear with a new toothed style gauge. Which can be checked for free at your local Advanced Auto store shortly. They are sending out the new gauges in a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
dmaxtothemax

PostSubject: Re: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:20 am

very cool man... i can't remember the brand of this belt... maybe gates from napa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...   

Back to top Go down

Serp belt, tensioner, auto tensioner repair...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1